2011/05/15

Tip#25 – Users are typically not mentalists

I’m not sure if I’m just paying more attention lately, but it seems that too often I get some type of error message after filling in and submitting an online registration form. The registration forms are simple enough: Username, e-mail address, password and password verification fields. However, after submitting the required information, I am told that the password is invalid as it must contain at least X characters, and/or a combination of uppercase and lowercase characters and/or a combination of letters and numbers. I kid you not, this has happened to me at least twice already this week and it seems to be an increasingly popular trend. Please, don’t do this to your users. I seriously doubt that you should be telling your users how to create their passwords. In the best of cases, it will make it more difficult for them to remember and in the worst of cases they will simply ignore you and go elsewhere. However, if you do feel that it is your mission to dictate how users must construct their passwords, please let them know beforehand and not after filling in the form. We are not mentalists.

No comments:

Post a Comment